Homemade, All-Natural Lotion via wellnessmama.com
½ cup sweet almond or olive oil
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup beeswax
Optional: 1 tsp Vitamin E oil
Optional: 2 Tbsp Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
- Combine all ingredients except essential oils in a pint sized glass jar. I decided to use a canning jar that I have designated just for making lotions. You could also re-use tomato sauce jars, pickle jars, olive jars… be creative!
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium flame.
- Place glass jar in pan.
- As the water heats up, the ingredients in the jar will begin to melt. Stir or swirl occasionally to incorporate. Be careful, the jar will get hot, too!
- When all ingredients are completely melted, add essential oils a few drops at a time until you are satisfied with the scent. Then, simply pour the liquid into whatever glass jar you will use to store it. Small, wide-mouthed mason jars are great for this. As it solidifies, it will not pump in a lotion pump.
- Use as you would regular lotion. It has a shelf life of about 6 months. This lotion is wonderfully luxurious and a little goes a long way. Enjoy!
Note: This is more the consistency of a thick body butter. I have read that if you take out some of the beeswax, it will soften up a bit. I think I’ll try that next time and see how the consistency comes out.